Ancien Manufacture des Tabacs

In the late 19th century, cigarettes became very popular and a decree was past in 1863 in Chambery which allowed local farmers to start growing and cultivating tobacco, This factory was built by that ever growing demand,  Pont de Beauvoisin would allocate 10 hectares to growing this new ‘trendy’ plant from Dec 1871 to begin the following year, Originally opening in 1882, as the old postcard shows us, many of the local farmers growing tobacco would take/sell their crops to a factory like this to be dried out and pressed and cut before being used (as in this case) for cigars but also cigarettes and pipe tobacco, The factory would be extended in 1898 into an large H form, but by 1991 , growing competition meant the site would be down to just 6 employees before finally closing its doors, the factory suffered 2 huge fires in 2016 and 2017, the later completely destroying the factory building, most of the factory has since been pulled down after the fire left it in a dangerous state now only leaving only the ground floor walls of these great factorys standing, what the future holds for the site as of yet is unclear.

ancien_tabac_beauvoison

The site at the turn of the 20th century.

The fire of 2017 which destroyed all the factory

Images 2019