In a text dated 1387, we can find the old town of Samolhano, the name it is believed, derives from that of a Gallo-Roman domain. It is undoubtedly the Gallic name Samulla to which the suffix ‘ianum’ was added.
Around 1400, Gaillard de Samouillan tested in favour of Bertrand de Saman. In 1489, Arnaud-Bernard de Benque was Lord of Samouillan. In 1569, it is Odet de Benque who sits in the courts of Comminges. Saman’s family was Seigneur de Samouillan several times during the seventeenth century.
Marie Elisabeth de Castelbajac, Dame de Samouillan married Georges d’0bessan, Knight, Captain in the Regiment of King, Knight of the Royal and Military Order of Saint Louis, Elle Testa at the Château de Samouillan on 18 September 1731. Françoise de Castelbajac, Dame de la Nine en Comminges married Paul de Timbrune, Comte de Valence.
Aerial View of the Chateau in 1942, Source Remonterletemps
The Métairie was shared in 1740 because at that time the Baron of Montégut had half of Samouillan. In 1765, half of the seigneury was acquired by Jean-Jacques Hercules de la Roche comte de Fontenilles, de Denis de Barrau, baron de Montégut-Bourjac.
In 1767, Marguerite veuve de La Roche-Fontenilles owns the chateau. In 1789, the first president of Cambon is the Seigneur de Samouillan, the Marquis de la Roche-Fontenille, Seigneur de Terrebasse, lived in the chateau. He would hide himself during the Revolution whilst his wife would face the guillotine. Even today, we can see the ruins of the chateau, facing the church.
Aerial View of the Chateau in 1971, Source Remonterletemps
In 1814, silos were allegedly dug about 100 metres west of the church to remove foodstuffs from English soldiers of the Wellington army. Located at the exit of the village, the recently restored church is typical of the local countryside, having been here since the 14th century.
From old aerial shots we can see parts of the chateau still have visible roof structures in the 1940’s as well and the square tower which holds the staircase. On old maps dated around 1865 and Cassini Maps, the town is marked down as Samouilhan. From details we can see, it is a very old chateau in origin, with its ornate doorways, a square staircase and mullion windows, one wonders why it fell into ruin.