The lands of Monceaux – AIt. 670m (also noted on old maps under the names of Monceau/Monsiaux/Homeaux) passed in 1442 from the seigneurs (Lords) de Murat de Tarnac to the Comte family, bourgeois of Treignac, who built the castle in 1582 (name and date inscribed on the door lintel) and they possessed it up until 1897. In 1514, Laurent de Monceaux was the parish priest of the nearby town of Viam. There was a domestic chapel attested in the eighteenth century (in ruin only small parts remains).
Since the old cadastre of 1822, the two square towers flanking the north façade, have collapsed. The north façade is also in a state of ruin its roof threatening to fall in at a moments notice, The coat of arms above the front door is believed to be that of the Comte family. The last known use of the name Monceaux was during the XVIIIth century when the line finally died out.
During 1940 and 1946 much of the land surrounding Monceaux was turned into an artificial lake (used for generating electric currently owned by EDF) which covers an area of over 171ha (some sources say 200ha). A local book on the department from 1978 states that the chateau is already in a state of ruin, but during 1986 the chapel was still standing, many of the surround outbuildings (believed to be the workers houses from the old hamlet of Monceaux) are now not much more than moss covered garden walls although door and window openings can still be made out.