In the 9th century, a large square tower was erected, a fortress belonging to Villebois who watched the ancient feudal route between Angoulême and Périgueux, In the 13th century, a second castle built by the La Rochebeaucourt on the other side of the road it is believed. In 1345, Ytier de Villebois refused to open the castle to the English during the Hundred Years War, but the two Squires would deliver the castle to them in 1349. In 1372 Ytier de Villebois took advantage of the revolt of Angoulême to expel the English garrison.
In the fifteenth century, windows with mullions were added. In the sixteenth century, François de la Rochebeaucourt demolished the big square tower to build terraces and to build the Orangerie (which still survives today). King Charles IX stayed there in 1565. In 1790 the ceiling of the Orangery is said to be “broken and fallen into several parts”. Pauline de Tourzel, daughter of the Duchesse de Tourzel, who accompanied her mother, designated as governess of the children of Louis XVI and Marie-Antoinette in August 1789 to 1795, married in 1797 the Marquis Alexandre Galard de Béarn, owner of the castle and lived there until his death in 1839.
Between 1853 and 1859, Louis-Hector de Galard de Brassac de Béarn, diplomat and Senator of the Empire, destroys the chateau and builds a modern chateau designed by the Parisian architect Pierre-Charles furrow (1804-1860) and the entrepreneur Angoumoisin Nicolas. The Galard de Béarn’s remained owners until 1892.
Four buildings have stood here, the last two castles (from the sixteenth to the twentieth century) were built on a rocky headland (against which the basements are built) located on the right bank of the Lizonne and dominating the confluence of a small brook Descendant of Rougnac, the Manore. The Lizonne is the county line between the Charente and the Dordogne, and the village of La Rochebeaucourt is situated on the opposite bank.
Requisitioned by the Germans during the Second World War, a fire breaks out on the 5th February 1941, the once grand chateau that stood here now burnt to the ground.