Chateau de Chapteuil

A medieval chateau which belonged to the Chapteuil family between the IXth and XIIIth century, constructed off volcanic rock and also sitting on a volcano it sits 100m higher than the village below and covered an area of over 7.5 hectares, The fortresse was destroyed in 1574 by order of the Baron de St-Vidal on the grounds that it had become a den for protestants.

2015