St Anne’s Church was built in the twelfth century, and evidence suggests it was completed by 1190. During its construction the builders incorporated a wall of a previous church into the west wall of the new church. The visible door openings, now blocked up, of this previous church have “inclined door jambs”. This indicates that the wall was of a church, loosely termed, from “The Gaelic Church Period” and it is likely to have been built between the years 1000 and 1100 AD.
In 1821, St Anne’s Church was closed due to the high cost of constant repairs, and the steady increase in the Church of Ireland population. On completion of its construction alongside St Anne’s in 1824, St. James’ Church was consecrated. St Annes was htrn left to the elements and became the ruin that it is today.