Compagnie miniere de Carmaux

A whooping great old mine that sits over 7 storys high, the story is that coal mining here began in 1752, of cause on a smaller scale before growing into this giant monster, during its time, it once had over 5500 employees (1918) but by the 1980’s this had dropped to 550, the plant finally closed in 1997 due to nuclear and hydro plants being opened and cheaper imports from abroad.

2016