The Chateau du Grand Ringelstein (or Chateau Ringelsbourg) dates from the beginning of the 13th century, it is built around several sandstone rocks at an altitude of 644 m. At the summit of the rocks there are only meagre remains of buildings, including the remnants of a pentagonal keep in the north, the most accessible part of the site. By contrast, the polygonal enceinte that surrounds the group of rocks is still well-preserved, particularly on the south west side, where one can see several small fully arched openings.
Owned by the Eguisheims, the site was recorded in the middle of the 12th century. After the extinction of the family, it passed to the Bishop of Strasbourg. A haunt of brigand knights, it was destroyed in 1470. The Chateau du Petit-Ringelstein (or Chateau du Petit-Ringelsberg) is a ruined castle in the commune of Oberhaslach in the Bas-Rhin département of France. It is sited on a small summit that it surrounds with its enceinte constructed of dry stone walls.
The name is derived from the German words Ring (ring or circle) and Stein (stone). A dry stone wall circles the hill top. It measures approximately 61m by 21m, at a height of one metre. It is bordered by a ditch. There is a quarry nearby from which rocks were cut and dressed. They date, probably, from the first third of the 13th century and would have been used for the Chateau du Grand-Ringelstein or for the Chateau de Hohenstein.