The existence of a fortification at the site of Mehun-sur-Yèvre dates from antiquity. The major remains are of the early 13th century and the later 14th century. The present standing ruins date from a chateau founded under the Courtenays after 1209.
This fortress was transformed into a princely residence by Jean, Duke of Berry in 1367. Largely ruined in the 18th century after the revolution, the castle represents an excellent example of late Gothic architecture and early Renaissance architecture. Charles VII of France, died in the castle on July 22, 1461. locally it is known as the Chateau Charles VII.