Gonterie-Boulouneix retains the remains of a 12th century Benedictine priory dependent on the Abbaye de Ligueux. This site takes care of collecting young women of royal Blood for their education. Before the French Revolution, three nuns and a chaplain lived there, demonstrating the decline of the priory over the centuries. The nuns use their incomes from the church for their own resources and for functioning as the whole.
In 1809, all the materials of the roof and part of the walls are sold to a man for 281 livres (approx. 500 euros). Close to the Priory is a fountain dedicated to Saint Jean which was the object of an important pilgrimage in the past. The priory has been classified as historical monuments since 1948.