The Secretary of Louis XI, then Charles VII: Austremoine Bohier (native of Issoire), buys in 1460 the chateau and the land of Saint Cirgues. His son Thomas, seigneur de Saint Cirgues is the secretary of the King’s finances, he rebuilt the chateau in 1495. It is a set of 4 round towers, of jagged wall and surrounded by moats. He will rebuild, 20 years later, the Château de Chenonceau based on the same model.
His son, Antoine Bohier, Baron de Saint Cirgues, ceded Chenonceau to François 1er to settle his debts. Without an heir, he donated the barony of Saint Cirgues to the constable of France, Anne de Montmorency. The chateau is acquired, in 1732, by Yves de Tourzel Allègre. In the eighteenth century, his daughter, Marie Marguerite, carried out works, notably the domes of the towers and the wide openings of the facades. Without an heir, she gives the castle to her sister’s children.
Their descendant: Louise Elisabeth de Croÿ is the governess of the children of France. In 1889, the chateau is owned by Paul Louis de Hunolstein, it is he who replaces the western wall, with arches opening to the park and the décor is set up in the Troubadour style.
In the 1980s, It was used as a village de vacance and for sports internships. A fire devastated it on March 28, 1990, the fire devastated the roofs and main buildings. In 2002, the chateau was added to the inventory of historic monuments. From 2003 to 2010, work was carried out to repair some of the water damage