The Chateau de Mauzun was originally a fortress of the (Counts) Comtes d’Auvergne, it passed to the (bishops) Evêques de Clermont and subsequently served to impose the power of the king of France on the Auvergne.
In 1207, Count Guy II d’Auvergne authorised the Bishop of Clermont to acquire the Château de Mauzun to avoid territorial confiscation by the King of France, being increasingly against the count of Auvergne, as he was an ally of the Kingdom of England.
The chateau is built on an ancient volcano. Originally a Gallo-Roman fortified site, the castle was transformed into a fortress in the 13th century. It has three defensive enclosures. It was destroyed and then abandoned in 1732.