Fortress of the 15th century, The name of l’Ebaupinaye comes from the latin words ‘alba spina’ meaning white thorn. The popular transposition made it Ebaupin or Ebaupine. L’Ebaupinaye is a place where the white thorn grows.
The first owner of this feudal estate belonged to the de Vendel family.
Perrot de Vendel, Lord of l’Ebaupinay, and benefactor of the abbey of Thouars, was buried in the church of this Saint-Léon abbey in Thouars around 1437.
François de Vendel, builder of l’Ebaupinaye’s fortress, was a vassal of the Lord of Argenton, Many others of de Vendel family also belonged to the same Lordship, and often worked at the main chateau itself in Argenton, like Hardouin de Vendel who was a confidential man of Philippe de Commynes, and master captain of the Chateau de Argenton. Argenton is located at the junction of important North-South and East-West commercial routes in Poitou-Charentes, and developped since the prehistoric ages. The greatest period was on the Middle-Age, at the time its Lord was Philippe de Commynes (1447-1511) historiographer for Louis XI one of the famous Kings of France.
During the 16th century, Miss Amboise de Vendel married René tisseau, and l’Ebaupinaye went to the Tisseau family. Widowed in 1565, Amboise de Vendel sold l’Ebaupinay to Charles d’Hillerin. In 1692 the d’Hillerin family sold l’Ebaupinaye to Claude de Chatillon, baron of Argenton.
After the Revolution, l’Ebaupinaye was confiscated by the République (state), and sold as ‘bien national’. The present owner, Claude Corbière, is looking for a buyer willing and able to restore and revive this priceless castle with respect to local traditions.