During the Xth centhury, The Coupeilh family is quoted in a text. as having land in the area. In the middle of the 11th century, a fortification in the area was first reported. It would have been built at the request of Godefroy de Bouillon.
In the 13th century, it seems that a chateau is built or reinforced on the hill. In 1626, Richelieu asked for the destruction of the chateau. Coppel is partially flatterned. In the middle of the 19th century, during earthwork work, a parchment dating from the 16th century is found. This document contains 42 stanzas narrating the Brotherhood of the Holy Spirit. It seems that this document is a reproduction of an original text of the 13th century. (This manuscript is visible in the departmental archives).
In 1860, the chateau chapel collapsed. It won’t be rebuilt. It is the village instead that has been receiving the “pilgrims” since this day. In 1861, a part of the tower collapses.