Segur-le-Chateau is a commune in the department of Correze in central France. In the VIth century the area of Segur belongs to Aredius (death in 591 and is known under the name of Saint Yrieix), landowner living the villa Attanum, today Saint-Yrieix-la-Perche.
The Viscount of Segur was born in IXth century, at the time of the feudal scattering of the Limousin. The cartulaire d’ Uzerche quotes a Foucher Viscount who is introduced the son of Foucher, younger brother Hildegaire (death in 945), Viscount of Limoges. It is supposed brother of the first Viscount of Comborn, Archambaud. At the end of the next century, its Emma grand-daughter of Ademar, single heiress of the Viscount of Segur married Guy Ist of Limoges (988-1025).
Thus during six hundred years, the city of Segur and its stronghold were going to be held by the Viscounts of Limoges. However, the territory of the castle pertaining to the canons of Saint-Yrieix, the Viscounts were to pay the homage to them. Segur was never the capital of the Viscount, but the lords resided at it regularly as the many handling testify to the castle. But especially, the Viscounts install there some families of knight-vassal as well as a certain number of officers charged to return justice.
The city was the seat of a chatellenie which extended, in a radius of 15 km, on ten parishes. However, Segur became a parish itself only in 1749. During the One hundred Year war, the fortress of Segur after an occupation by the English between 1361 and 1374, are confiscated by the king of France and become a royal fortified town managed by captains on whom the Viscounts did not have any authority. Meanwhile, the Viscount of Limoges had passed following the marriage of Arthur II of Brittany with Marie of Limoges in 1275, at the houses of Brittany and Blois which were hardly worried city about Segur. The Viscount of Segur seems to find the pleasure of the seigniory about 1422-1424. However, in first half of XVth century, the Jean Viscount of Blois known as “of the Eagle”, captain with the service of king de France, managed to associate with his Viscount limousine the county of Perigord in 1437. The counts de Perigord had obtained it from king Philippe VI, in 1343, the right to hold a court of first call. He consequently thought to make of Segur the general seat of his justice of call.
This “court of the bird calls” judged in first incoming call ordinary justices seigneuriales and the Parliament of Paris. It is undeniable that it is the installation of this extraordinary court which instigated there, and demography, and the economic life of this borough castral. Indeed, any recourse against a legal decision made in one of the 150 jurisdictions of the Viscount of Limoges and the county of Perigueux was to be discussed before the court of Segur, before being it required carried before the royal Parliament. Thus is explained this large wave of constructions and rebuildings of residences of qualities during XVth and XVIth centuries.
Meanwhile, in 1468 precisely, the Viscount of Limoges passes by marriage to Albret, in the person of Alain of Albret, great-great-grandfather of Henri IV. In 1582, Francois de Perusse, count of des Cars, buys the seigniory of Segur for 34.998 livres. The Perusse family had already bought a great number of houses and hotels at the previous century before buying the castle and the seigniory. Perusse remained lords of Segur until 1643, time to which the whole of their territories passed to the family of Hautefort. But, the Viscount of Limoges had been attached in 1607 to the Crown after the advent of Henri IV to the throne of France.
Since then, the radiation and the dynamism of the city were reduced appreciably. In 1750, the court was removed by an edict of the king; thus the middle-class families left little by little Segur involving the decline of the economic activity thus. In 1795, the castle was bought from Hautefort by the former farmer, Gabriel Dumas-Lavareille, of the family which became mayor of Segur. The commune of Segur briefly took in 1919, the name of Segur-les-Goujons, before becoming in 1924 Segur-le-Chateau.