A look-out post since medieval times, the Gurson mound remained strategically important and a castle was built on it in the 11th or early 12th century. The English won control of it in 1254 and, rebuilt it in the 14th century and surrounded it with fortifications, it remained in the hands of the King of England, Duke of Aquitaine for two centuries.
In 1278 it was given by the English king to his devoted servant, Jean de Grailly, one of the finest seneschals of Aquitaine. The Château de Gurson was inhabited in until the middle of the 17th century but once abandoned it then fell rapidly to ruin and became an inexhaustible stone quarry for local farmers, seigneurs and people from the area. It fell into ruin long before the Revolution.