Built in the XIth century by Nivelon ISt, Seneschal of the Comte de Blois, on the ruins of the Carolingian village of Saint Victor, The Château de Fréteval is a symbol of the struggle between the counties of Blois, that it depends on, and Vendôme (Anjou). It was the Mecca of tumultuous relations between the Kingdom of France and the Plantagenet : meetings between Thomas Becket and Henry II, King of England, the Bataille de Fréteval in 1194 between Richard the Lionheart and Philip Augustus.
During this unstable period, the administrative seat of the lordship will remain based in Meslay-le-Vidame, near Chartres, major stronghold of the Meslay family, seigneur de Freteval until the end of the XIIIth century .
During the hundred years war, the fortifications of the chateau were improved but suffered twice in 1418 due to the onslaught of English troops.
The Chateau remains inhabited until 1487, (the date of coins found here). It then serves as a stone quarry until its current state. The land is currently owned by Armand de La Rochefoucauld.