The Chateau d’Angles-sur-l’Anglin has been monitoring the Poitou border since the 10th century (it is attested in 1025). It was bought by Bishop Guillaume de Bruges from the family of Lezay at the end of the 13th century and remained property of the bishopric until the revolution.
Guichard III, seigneur d’Angles, was appointed Senechal de Saintonge during the Hundred Years ‘ War and was appointed maréchal de Guyenne when Poitou became English in 1356. The Chateau d’Angles-sur-l’Anglin was taken back from the English without a fight by Bertrand Du Guesclin in 1372.
In the fifteenth century the bishops carried out important works. Hugues de Comparel built the Château neuf and Guillaume de Charpagne succeeds in his work. Then, during the turbulent times of the 16th and 17th centuries, the castle was taken by the Protestants, then by the ligueurs, by the royal and then the frondeurs. Then it is neglected by the bishops.
Became a public quarry in the revolution, it was bought in 1923 by the Antiquaires de l’Ouest, then by the commune in 1986.
It was classified a historical monument on February 10, 1926.