The Chateau d’Auriac is a cathare castle which was built at the beginning of XIIth century. Today sadly it sits in ruins, it is however still possible to visit the vestiges of the chateau which overhangs the beautiful valley. Entry to the castle is carried out via the village, but it is possible to there to go up via the dirt tracks.
This chateau dominated the bridge of Saint Rome du Tarn within 1km to the north east of Saint Rome. Believed to be built in the XIth century, where it was just a tower of refuge rather than habitation, it was transformed into feudal chateau in two parts: a higher chateau with the donjon (Bournahou) property of the family of Auriac and the lower chateau and meadows to the church Saint Martin, property of the family of Bernard. The whole castle was surrounded by a wall of enclosure which in turn helped it become an important fortress.
History of the castle: 1028, the castellum of Auriag is given to the brothers of Auriac by the profit of the Viscount of Aton III. 1067, Raimondus Ameli and Bertrandus make homage to the Count Raymond of Barcelona. in spite of that, the castle always belongs to the house of Carcassonne. 1070 (or 71?), Rangarde Comtesse of Carcassonne definitively sells her rights of the field of Auriag to Raimondus Count de Barcelonne, The parish of the village always depends on the archbishop’s palace of Carcassonne. 1107, Pope Paschal II, gone back to Privas, who confirms the archbishop of Narbonne, the ground of Auriac. 1121, Bernard Aton, Viscount of Carcassonne, pay homage to the bishop for the grounds of Auriag until Termenes (territory close to Perpignan). 1124, Pierre Raimond d’Auriac, guarantees Raimond de Durfort, for peace and truce concluded with Bernard Aton, Viscount of Carcassonne 1125, Petrus Raimondis d’Aurig after having been a rebellious lord, makes his peace with the Viscount Bernard Aton. 1211, after the Albigensian Crusade, the chateau seems to be in possession of a lord “du nord/of the north”.
In 1227, the archbishop of Narbonne writes a letter of protest on the abusive possessions of the “lords of the crusades”. He asserts amongst other things, the grounds of Auriac. At the beginning of the XVth century, it seems that the chateau is altered. In the 16th century, the interior of the buildings are modified for more comfort. larger windows, and staircases are carried out. At the end of the 17th century, it seems that architectural installations still improve the life in the apartment buildings. About the 18th century, the castle is abandoned. In 1849, the castle of Auriac belongs to Mr Laffont de Donos. 1859 Laffont de Donos sells the castle to Mr Casimir Ducros de Castres via auction by order of the court. 1948, the ruin is registered as a historic building, visiting is free, but at your own risk.