The village of Roquefort sur Garonne is located 25 km – East of Saint-Gaudens, 9km South-west of Cazeres, at the junction of the Salat and the Garonne rivers in the Haute-Garonne department.
The Chateau de Roquefort sur Garonne (260m) is set onto a very steep bank with a shear drop the other side, it was abandoned before the end of the XVth century. Construction of a chateau here begins in the XIIth century for the surveillance of the 2 valleys. The family of Roquefort is written in the texts.
In 1213, during the Albigensian Crusade, the troops of Simon de Montfort take the castle. In the 14th century, the castle is possession of the family of Comminges. Into today, although private property access to the ruins are allowed although great care should be taken.