The beautiful old Chateau des Cars, located at the center of the town. The first chateau was built in XIIIth century. At the end of the XIth century, Ramnulphe de Lastours, gives to the Abbey Saint-Martial of Limoges, villa de Quadris, ‘village des Cars’, located in the wooded part of the vast parish of Flavignac. The village appears already equipped with a Holy-Marie-Madeleine vault. The abbey quickly founds there a priory formally attested as of the first years of XIIth century.
About 1280, the pledged family of Flavignac in Lastours dies out. It is undoubtedly what supports the appearance and the development of the seigniory of Les Cars. This new stronghold, initially within the hands of the family of Barry, then of the family of P?russe as of the medium of XIVth century, appears to have formed with the beginning mainly of territories of the old parish of Flavignac (current communes of Flavignac and Les Cars). Gradually, the new lords go emanciper of Lastours (they will end themselves even up repurchasing the seigniory of Lastours (commune of Rilhac-Lastours). Quickly, also, Perusse, will take the name of Perusse des Cars, sometimes written Perusse d’ Escars, starting from the Renaissance.
The castle, which is probably at the simple beginning only one house-strong, to a few hundred meters of the priory of Saint-Martial, will be gradually rebuilt to become a true residence. Geoffroy de Perusse of Les Cars (died in 1534), adviser-chamberlain of king de Navarre seems considerably to have improved and have enriched the monument at the time of the First Renaissance.
The site was then strengthened/fortified, at the time of the wars of religion. 1798: destruction and plundering of the castle. It belonged to the family De Barri, which was combined in the Perusse. Defence work, it was coveted during the One hundred Year old war. It fell in 1373 with the hands of the English who established a garrison there. The Duguesclin constable drove out some. The family of Perusse des Cars was one of more famous of the kingdom. One counts among its members the Marshals of France, the secretaries of State, of the bishops. Charles IX set up their field in county.
The second castle was built at the end of XVth and at the beginning of XVIth century. A description from 1793 the known as one composed of five large houses and surrounded a terrace on which four opened carriage entrances. It was improved in 1778 and was equipped with immense gardens known as the most beautiful in all the province. It was destroyed with the Revolution. They do not remain today, all that does remain are two big towers partly demolished, of the cellars some sides of walls and the partly filled ditches. Two other small towers which flanked the entry were updated by the recent excavations. In the town, outside of the site, one can notice two constructions with decorated attic window pinnacles (of XVIth), stables and infirmary, which belonged to the chateau. These buildings are registered with the Inventory historic buildings (I.S.M.H.) since December 21, 1982.